Suite 553, 4-115
Contact: Robert Square, Chairman
firstname.lastname@example.org | http://nlps.info
Collingwood, Ontario – 10 December 2015
For Immediate Release:
Nottawasaga Lighthouse Preservation Society Receives Charitable Status
Recently the Nottawasaga Lighthouse Preservation Society (NLPS) received charitable status from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This has been a long term goal of the NLPS and will allow the group to move forward on several fundraising initiatives in 2016.
The NLPS will continue to work with the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) to acquire ownership of the lighthouse which will allow restoration efforts to commence.
The Nottawasaga Lighthouse is one of six imperial towers that were built by Scottish stonemason John Brown from 1855-1857. It was first lit in 1858, the year the Town of Collingwood incorporated. It stands 85 feet over the waters of southern Georgian Bay approximately 3 kms off of Collingwood, Ontario.
About the Nottawasaga Lighthoues Preservation Society: The NLPS was formed in 2013 to ensure that the heritage resources of the Nottawasaga Island Lighthouse are protected through restoration and preservation of the lighthouse & keeper’s residence in a manner that respects their significant and irreplaceable historical legacy.