Why Protect, Preserve & Promote?
- One of the most beautiful landmarks on Georgian Bay
- Still used as navigational aid for boaters
- Ranks 94/100 on “Heritage Importance and Value” survey
- Unique in comparison to the other five Imperial Towers (e.g., masonry techniques, size and style)
- The lighthouse defines who we are and where we have come from as a community and major shipping port.
- The island and light is also associated with numerous historic rescue efforts by its keepers, most notably George Collins role during the sinking of the “Mary Ward” in 1872 saving 22 lives.